The Watson Fire Protection District responded to a residential fire in the 8000 block of 625th Avenue in Jackson Township at around 1:30 Thursday morning. According to a press release, the homeowner was alerted to the fire after being woken up by a fire alarm to find the residence filled with smoke.
Upon arrival firefighters discovered heavy smoke in the basement of the home and used a thermal imaging camera to locate the source, which was the smoldering remains of a dehumidifier. The area around the dehumidifier was extinguished and crews began venting the basement and main floor of the home.
The fire was contained to the dehumidifier, but the home sustained heavy smoke damage. Once smoke removal was completed, the residence was turned over to the homeowner. Watson Fire Protection District was assisted by the Shumway Fire Protection District, and the Edgewood Bi-County Fire Protection District. Crews were on scene for just over an hour.