SIGEL, IL -(Effingham Radio)- A tank mishap ended with a Sigel Farmer airlifted to a Hospital.
An unnamed farmer at the time was switching tanks when he came in contact with anhydrous ammonia about a 1/2 mile north of Sigel on Rte 45.
The Effingham Daily News’ Dawn Shabbing reported, first responders from Sigel FD as well as Neoga FD, and Neoga Ambulance Service were called to the home at 12:03 p.m.
At the time of the arrival responders called for an Air-Evac to take the man to Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana while being treated on scene.
Shabban reported, that once the helicopter arrived, the highway was blocked on both the NB, and SB lanes to allow clearance.
She continued on reporting, ” While the fire chief wouldn’t release the victim’s name, he said the man inhaled the chemical’s fumes into his lungs and sustained chemical burns on his arms.”