Effingham, Ill. – First Responders were called to 2948 E. Empire Drive for a structure fire at 11:56 am.
Upon arrival they found the garage of the residence engulfed in flames.
The resident of the home, Spencer Pryor, had explained the actions that led to the fire.
“I was buring some grass in the middle of the yard, however evidently some sparks of the fire blew over to another patch of grass on the corner of the garage.” Stated Pryor
“By the time I saw it, it was too late.”
Pryor along with his wife both managed to exit the home safely as well as remove both vehicles from the garage.
According to Altamont Fire Chief, Jon Becker, “We had heavy fire in the northwest corner of the garage.”
Before more assistance arrived the fire extended thrugh the garage, into the ceiling, before breaking out, and onto the outside of the garage.
A full still level was called, and those who responded were: Shumway Fire Department, St. Elmo Fire Department, Abbott EMS, Altamont Fire Department, Altamont City Police Department, and Effingham County Sheriff’s Department.
Including them was a local neighbor who was using their water hose to assist with extinguishing the flames.
Tri-County, and Beecher City were both available for station coverage.
There were two cats in the main house at the time of the fire; one was reported found in the home, as the other according to Pryor may have been hiding near by.
Becker confirmed that both cats would not have been harmed as neither were in the vicinity at the time of the fire.
Both the garage, and contents inside were considered to be a total loss.