One person was injured in a structure fire that occurred on Monday morning in Mattoon.
According to a report by the Mattoon Fire Department, the Department was called to a reported structure fire at 705 South 16th Street at approximately 6:45am. Upon arrival, fire crews discovered smoke in the residence and fire in an upstairs bedroom. The fire crews then began working to extinguish the fire, which was contained to the bedroom. The home suffered heat and water damage to the bedroom and smoke damage throughout.
At the time of the fire, two residents were home and one was taken to Sarah Bush Lincoln Hospital for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation. The Fire Department determined that the cause of the fire was accidental as lit candles were unattended in the bedroom. The Mattoon Fire Department received mutual aid from the Charleston Fire Department, the Mattoon Police Department, and Mitchell-Jerdan Ambulance.