Early Friday morning, Watson Fire Department responded to a structure fire north of Watson in the 8600 block of 1200th St after receiving a call from a resident that their detached garage had caught fire.
Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the fully engulfed garage with the roof collapsed in. The fire had also spread to a nearby storage shed as well as a carport. After extinguishing the blaze, firefighters conducted an investigation to find out if the fire had spread to the household. Using a thermal imaging camera, crews learned that no fire had spread into the home. However, the exterior of the residence had suffered damage from the heat of the nearby blaze. The garage and its contents were determined to be a total loss. The full estimated loss has yet to be determined. Fire crews determined that the fire had started in the northwest corner of the garage.
Earlier in the evening, the homeowner had extinguished a small fire in the garage. While welding, a fire had ignited items of clothing. The homeowner extinguished this fire and left the clothing in the garage.
Watson Fire Department received mutual aid from Shumway Fire Department, who responded with an engine and a chief. They also received assistance from Norris Electric, who secured the electricity to the garage and residence. The crews cleared the scene after approximately 90 minutes.
Photos courtesy of Watson Fire Department.