EFFINGHAM, IL-(Effingham Radio)- Little ghosts and goblins will be taking to the streets this Wednesday for Halloween.
The Effingham Police Department will be hosting a free and safe Trick or Treat event in front of city hall from 6 to 8 p.m.
Police officers will be handing out candy under the police tent, in the parking lot.
The following safety tips are suggested for a safe and fun Halloween!
Safety tips for trick-or-treaters and parents:
- Trick or treat only during the suggested timeframe
- Only visit homes that have their porch lights on.
- Walk on the sidewalk and observe all traffic laws.
- Parents should inspect children’s candy before they eat any. If anything is unwrapped or looks suspicious, throw it away.
- Make sure trick-or-treaters have a flashlight and are wearing costumes that do not restrict their vision, could cause them to trip, are flame retardant and are light colored and visible. Consider placing reflective tape on costumes or treat bags.
- Don’t run! Walk.
- Never go into a stranger’s home.
- Always trick or treat with an adult.
- Notify police of any suspicious activity. Safety Tips for Homeowners:
- Only hand out commercially wrapped candy.
- Only turn your porch light on if you welcome trick-or-treaters.
- Secure pets.
Safety Tips for Motorists:
- Drive slowly and be aware of children who could dart in and out of traffic or between parked cars.
- Avoid distractions, like using your cell phone or listening to loud music, which affect your ability to see or hear children.
- NEVER drink and drive.
If you suspect that candy may be tainted, please bring it to the Effingham Police Department for disposal.