Effingham, IL-(Effingham Radio)- Effingham County generated $3.35 million in local tax revenue and $163.91 million in visitor expenditures
The Illinois Office of Tourism announced both international and domestic travel expenditures reached $39.5 billion in 2017 which is a $1.1 billion boost to the state’s economy since 2016.
Visitors to the state hit an all time high in 2017 with an additional 1.6 million travelers from 2016 contributing to an increase of visitor spending, tax revenue and local jobs.
Effingham played a role in the state’s added economic domestic growth, with $163.91 million in travel expenditures (a 4.5% increase) and $3.35 million in local tax revenue (a 4.7% increase).
More than 6,000 jobs were created across the state as a result of visitor spending.
“Illinois is the perfect destination for anyone looking for a new experience – whether it’s an outdoor adventure, a scenic road trip, incredible nightlife, or a family-friendly activity – there truly is something for everybody,” said Cory Jobe, director of Illinois Tourism. “The added boost in state and local tax revenue is a testament to the continued impact that tourism continues to have on Illinois.”
Economic Impact of Domestic Travel in Effingham County:
- Travel expenditures – $163.97 million (4.5% increase)
- Local tax revenue – $3.35 million (4.7% increase)
With visitor growth continuing its upward trend, Effingham locals will have a lot to look forward to as work continues developing the region, says Jodi Thoele, Director of Tourism for the City of Effingham.
“Effingham tourism continues to thrive for many reasons but one main reason is due to our dedicated
hospitality partners here in Effingham including our hotels, restaurants, attractions and the people behind them.
We also have many enthusiastics meeting planners, festival/event coordinators and sporting event coordinators
bringing in fantastic events each year which help to highlight our City and bring in new visitors each year. It’s
wonderful to see everyone’s dedication and hard work pay off with increased economic growth for our area,”
Fast Facts about Illinois Tourism in 2017:
- Every $1 invested in Illinois tourism generates $9 in economic impact for the state
- Illinois welcomed 111 million domestic visitors
- Of Illinois’ 111 million domestic visitors, 17% were for business and 83% for leisure
- In the past 10 years, domestic travel to Illinois has increased by 23 million visitors
- The visitor expenditures generated by domestic visitors supported 308,490 jobs in 2017 which is an increase of 6,040 jobs since 2016
- Domestic travelers spent $36.3 billion in Illinois during 2017, a 3.3 percent increase from 2016
Illinois Office of Tourism receives domestic visitor volume estimates from DK Shifflet and international visitor numbers from Tourism Economics. Visitor expenditures, tax revenue and jobs numbers come from U.S. Travel Association.
For more press materials and to download images, visit Media.EnjoyIllinois.com
For travel inspiration and trip ideas, visit EnjoyIllinois.com