Mattoon, IL-(Effingham Radio)- The Lake Land College Foundation honored the 50 most influential people in the college’s history at a celebration at the Keller Convention Center in Effingham on June 8.
Dave Storm, chair of the Lake Land College Board of Trustees, enlightened guests with stories of the college’s inception. How the college came to be called Lake Land, the first mascot “Dunker Duck” and the triumphs of the original faculty members were just some of the stories shared that night.
Director of College Advancement Jackie Joines welcomed the honored guests to the stage. Joines announced that the best way to honor the Top 50 would be to support and celebrate the students who were at the center of the honorees’ service to the college.
“It is my pleasure to announce that the Foundation will be creating a new scholarship fund in honor of our Top 50 VIP’s. I am humbled to work at the institution you created,” Joines said.
Foundation members and retirees of Lake Land selected the Top 50 VIPs. The event, sponsored by the Lake Land College Foundation, topped off a year-long celebration of the college’s 50th anniversary.
Individuals recognized posthumously are indicated by an asterisk. The top 50 most influential people in Lake Land College’s history are:
- *GENE ALEXANDER, Mattoon. Former coordinator of student records and registrar.
- KEN BENO, Neoga. Former division chair of humanities and radio/TV instructor.
- *WAYNE BRADTKE, Mattoon. Former music instructor.
- JOSH BULLOCK, Mattoon. Current president of Lake Land College.
- PAM CRISMAN, Effingham. Former vice president for development.
- *FLOYD CURL, Effingham. Former trustee and foundation donor
- *JIM DECKER, Mattoon. Former academic counselor.
- JIM DUDLEY, Charleston. Former physical education instructor, coach and athletic director.
- RANDY ERVIN, Mattoon. Former chief of police who established the force.
- *GERALD FEDRIGON, Mattoon. Former director of admissions and records.
- GERALD FORSYTHE, Barrington. Donor.
- LANA FULLER, Mattoon. Former executive assistant to five Lake Land College presidents.
- KAREN FUQUA, Mattoon. Former trustee and donor.
- DENNIS GATHMANN, Mattoon. Former bio-science instructor.
- *LELAND GLAZEBROOK, Sullivan. Former trustee.
- *MARILYN GOVER, Mattoon. Former business instructor.
- DAVE GREESON, Neoga. Former vice president for academic services.
- RICHARD HELLER, Mattoon. Former social sciences instructor.
- BILL HOLLADA, Mattoon. Former humanities instructor.
- ROBERTA HOLLADA, Mattoon. Former director of child care center/child care instructor.
- PAUL ICENOGLE, Mattoon. Former master gardener.
- MAX JAEGER, Mattoon. Former vice president for business services.
- BOB JOHNSTON, Shelbyville. First trustee member class.
- *VIRGIL JUDGE, Mattoon. First Lake Land College president.
- THOMAS KERKHOFF, Vandalia. Former executive dean correctional programs.
- *HAL KOTTWITZ, Mattoon. Former business instructor.
- *SCOTT LENSINK, Mattoon. Former president.
- *ROBERT LUTHER, Mattoon. Former president.
- *CONSUELLO LUTTRELL, Effingham. Donor.
- *GEORGE MITCHELL, Marshall. Former trustee and donor.
- *BURNHAM NEAL, Mattoon. Donor.
- *THOMAS NOLAN, Oakland. First trustee member class.
- BOB ORR, Mattoon. Former health/physical education instructor and tennis coach.
- *CLEM PHIPPS, Mattoon. First trustee member class.
- *WILLIAM PODESTA, Mattoon. Former trustee and donor.
- *TOM REEDY, Sullivan. Former division chair of agriculture division chair and agriculture instructor.
- DORIS REYNOLDS, Mattoon. Trustee.
- *BILL RICH, Sullivan. Former vice president for academic services.
- CHERYL RICH, Sullivan. Former vice president for student services.
- CURT RINCKER, Shelbyville. Former division chair of agriculture and agriculture instructor.
- RON SANDERSON, Humboldt. Former associate vice president for workforce development.
- JIM SHAFFER, Shelbyville. Former trustee.
- HELEN SMITH, Humboldt. Former division chair and instructor of health/physical education.
- TINA STOVALL, Charleston. Vice president for student services.
- MIKE SULLIVAN, Mattoon. Trustee and alumni association board member.
- MARILYN FUQUA THOMPSON, Mattoon. Former division chair of allied health and nursing instructor.
- LINDA VON BEHREN, Martinsville. Former associate vice president for workforce development.
- *ROBERT WEBB, Mattoon. Former president.
- TOM WRIGHT, Dieterich. Foundation board member.
- LARRY YARGUS, Marshall. Former foundation board member.
For more information, contact the Lake Land College Foundation office at 217-234-5363.