Vandalia, IL-(Effingham Radio)- A Louisiana man was fatally injured in a 6 vehicle crash that took place on Interstate 70 Westbound, mile marker 64 (approximately 1 mile East of Vandalia, at 2:20 P.M. on June 20th, 2018.
Preliminary investigative reports indicate that a white 2018 International Semi-truck, driven by 46 year old, Robert A. Todoran, of Hammond, LA was traveling west on I-70, where traffic was stopped due to road construction.
The Semi-truck driven by Todoran failed to reduce speed to avoid an accident and struck a silver 2014 Ford Fusion, driven by 27 year old, Jon P. Wingo, of Springfield, IL causing a chain reaction involving a total of six vehicles.
The Todoran Semi-truck left the roadway and traveled down an embankment, where the trailer became engulfed in flames.
Todoran was trapped inside of his vehicle and was pronounced deceased on scene by the Fayette County Coroner.
The crash remains under investigation by the Illinois State Police Traffic Crash Reconstruction Unit, the Illinois State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Section, the Fayette County Coroner’s Office and Illinois State Police District 12.
Three individuals involved in the crash were transported to Fayette County Hospital.
- White 2018 International Semi-truck, driven by 46 year old, Robert A Todoran, of Hammond, LA (FATAL).
- Silver 2014 Ford Fusion, driven by 27 year old, Jon P Wingo, of Springfield, IL.
- Female Juvenile, 14, Brownstown, IL (Passenger)
- Rachael M. Wingo, 51, Brownstown, IL (Passenger)
- Tan 2013 Freightliner Semi-truck, driven by 45 year old, Carlos Perez, of Bronx, NY.
- Black 2017 Western Star Semi-truck, Benjamin B. Booker, 50, Eden, ON.
- Silver 2015 Freightliner Semi-truck, driven by 50 year old, Peter O. Lingenfelter, of New Castle, PA
- Red 2018 Peterbuilt Semi-truck, driven by 45 year old, Kenneth C. Woodhouse, of Cedar Key, FL
*All subjects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law*