MATTOON, IL-(Effingham Radio)- The Mattoon Fire Department responded to a reported fire at a residence on Thursday.
According to a press release from the Mattoon Fire Department, the Department was called at 4:34pm to the residence at 1104 S 15th Street for a reported fire.
Upon arrival, crews reported no smoke showing from the residence and entered the residence.
The crews then discovered a smoldering fire on the stove.
The release stated that the fire was contained to the items on the stove and the exhaust hood, but smoke damage was found throughout the home.
The origin of the fire was found to be on the stove top and the cause was determined to be an item that was being stored on the stove top.
According to the release, this is the second fire in a month’s time that the Mattoon Fire Department has responded to due to items being ignited on the stove top.
The Mattoon Fire Department is reminding residents that storing, sitting, or stacking items on a stove top is not a safe practice.