CHARLESTON, IL-(Effingham Radio)- On Wednesday at 10:59am, the Charleston Fire Department was called to 325 Van Buren in Charleston for a reported structure fire.
Upon arrival, fire crews discovered heavy smoke coming from the residence.
After entering the home, the crews then discovered fire coming from the kitchen and worked quickly to extinguish it.
According to a news release from the Charleston Fire Department, the resident was at home at the time of the fire and was able to escape.
No injuries were reported and the resident made arrangements to stay elsewhere.
It was determined that the fire had started in the kitchen from a grease fire from an unattended pot on the stove.
The kitchen sustained heavy fire damage and heavy smoke damage was reported throughout the residence.
The Charleston Fire Department was assisted by the Mattoon Fire Department, the City of Charleston’s Building Department, and Ameren CIPS.