An Effingham mobile home was damaged in a fire that occurred on Sunday.
According to a Facebook Post from the Effingham Police Department, the Department was called for a reported structure fire in the Four Seasons Trailer Park on the South Side of Effingham at 6:20pm on Sunday. While heading to the scene, Effingham Dispatch notified the Fire Department that additional 911 calls were reporting flames showing and the call was upgraded. This added more Effingham Fire Crews, Teutopolis Fire, and Abbott EMS to the scene, and called Watson and Montrose Fire Departments for station coverage.
After arriving on scene, the Effingham Fire Department reported smoke showing and crews forced entry into the residence. They crews then discovered the fire in the washer/dryer area and in the void space in between the ceiling and roof. This was quickly extinguished. A portion of Jaycee Avenue was closed by the Effingham Police Department so fire crews could run a fire hose from the fire hydrant into the trailer park. The resident was not at home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.
The Facebook Post stated that the origin of the fire was “determined to be in the control panel of the dryer with the cause being an electrical short within the panel. The fire then advanced up the wall above the dryer to a shelving unit where the contents then further fueled the fire. The fire is ruled accidental. Heavy smoke damage throughout the mobile home along with fire damage in the center has made the residence uninhabitable. The resident, Kathy Clarkson, arrived on scene and has made arrangements to stay with friends.”
***Photos courtesy of the Effingham Fire Department***