The Mattoon Fire Department extinguished a structure fire at around 6:10 Friday morning in the 900 block of 10th Street in Matoon. Upon arrival crews noticed smoke and flame showing from the residence.
Crews entered the structure, and worked to extinguish the blaze, which was contained to a utility closet and the attic area directly above. Smoke and water damage was reported throughout the residence. No occupants were present during the incident. The Mattoon Fire Department was assisted by the Charleston Fire Department, Mattoon Police Department, and Mattoon Public Works. Crew left the scene at 8:41 a.m.
The Mattoon Fire Department Reminds residents to keep combustible objects at least three feet away from hot water heaters and other heating appliances. Additionally, ensure that all fire detectors are working and that you have an escape plan.