An Effingham home has been deemed uninhabitable following a fire that occurred at 209 W Kreke Avenue on Saturday.
According to a post on their Facebook page, the Effingham Fire Department was called to a reported structure fire at the residence shortly before 5:00pm. The Effingham Police Department and Effingham County Sheriff’s Department arrived on scene first and reported seeing smoke. It was also unclear at this time if the homeowner or her son were at home. The Effingham Fire Department arrived on scene and called for mutual aid. Fire crews then began a search for occupants. They were informed by dispatch that the homeowner was at work. As the crews began a second search of the residence, it was reported that the son was at a friend’s home. The Fire crews then located the fire on the second floor in the attic space. After extinguishing this fire and several other hot spots, the fire was reported under control at 5:14pm.
According to the Facebook post, the fire originated in the attic space and was ruled to have started from an electrical short. The residence sustained an estimated $25,000 in damage. It was deemed uninhabitable due to the amount of smoke and water damage. The Effingham Fire Department received mutual aid from Teutopolis Fire Department, Watson Fire Department, Abbott EMS, the Effingham Police Department, and the Effingham County Sheriff’s Department.