Twelve people were injured in an accident involving twelve vehicles that occurred two miles north of Edgewood on I-57 yesterday.
According to a report from the Illinois State Police, a grass fire had started in the median of I-57 for unknown reasons. Due to the wind direction, smoke from the fire has caused zero visibility for the traffic on I-57 northbound. Shortly before 12:30pm on Monday, a chain reaction crash that involved twelve vehicles occurred in the dense smoke and closed traffic for nearly two hours.
Thirteen people were injured in the accident and were transported to HSHS St Anthony’s Memorial Hospital for treatment. The injured include:
- 43 year old, Randall D. Vukadinovich, of Definance, Ohio
- 33 year old, Lenore Waters, of Indianapolis, Indiana
- 75 year old, Percell Searcy, of Olympia Field, Illinois
- 28 year old, Brandon T. Kindelspire, of Morris, Illinois
- 24 year old, Megan J. Fearday, of Annarbor, Michigan
- 66 year old, Linda L. Kelly, of Edgewook, Illinois
- 28 year old, Nicole H. Linder, of Seneca, Illinois
- A two year old juvenile, of Seneca, Illinois
- A ten month old juvenile, of Seneca, Illinois
- A nine year old juvenile, of Indianapolis, Indiana
- 63 year old, Earnest Searcy, of Matteson, Illinois
- 25 year old, Ashley N. Neubeck, of Chicago, Illinois
- 26 year old, Stephanie M. Wallace, of Bloomington, Illinois
The accident is still under investigation.