The American Red Cross recently released safety tips to help ensure that everyone has a safe Memorial Day Weekend.
Since many people view Memorial Day Weekend as the unofficial start of Summer, they might head out this weekend and enjoy traveling, grilling, pools, or the lake. The American Red Cross released the following tips regarding safety this Memorial Day Weekend.
- Be well rested and alert
- Use your seat belt
- Observe speed limits and follow rules of the road
- If you plan on drinking, don’t drive. Find a designated driver.
- Give your full attention to the road and don’t get distracted
- Use caution in construction/work zones
- Don’t follow other vehicles too closely
- Make frequent stops
- Clean your vehicle’s headlights and windows to help see clearly
- Don’t let the fuel tank get too low in your vehicle
- Carry a disaster supply kit
- Let someone know where you are traveling too
- Always supervise a grill that is in use.
- Never grill indoors
- Make sure everyone stays away from the grill
- Keep the grill out in the open
- Use long-handled tools
- Never add charcoal starter fluid after coals have been ignited
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Ensure that everyone knows how to swim well
- Adults supervise children, stay within arms reach of young children and new swimmers.
- Fence in pools and spas
- Wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket
- Swim as a pair in an area protected by lifeguards
- Know how to help someone who is in trouble without putting yourself into danger