The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is reminding boaters of the boat rafting policy that is in place at Lake Shelbyville. It is as follows:
- Up to 5 boats are allowed in a raft without a special use permit
- No more than 50 people are allowed on a raft that consists of five boats or less
- No more than four people are allowed per additional boat over five.
- 150 feet is required between each raft.
- Unless below deck or in an enclosed cabin, life jackets must be worn at all times on rafts with more than five boats.
- Everyone with rafts with more than 5 boats must have a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket or Type IV throw-able device at all times.
- Portable P.A. systems and kegs with alcoholic beverages are not allowed.
- A free special use permit is required for rafts of 5-20 boats.
- Permits must be requested at the least 7 days and no more than 5 weeks before use.
A permit can be requested by visiting the Lake Shelbyville Project Office or by calling 217-774-3951 ext. 2. Individuals must present their name, address, phone number, number of boats in the raft, the primary and alternate location on the Lake where boats will be rafted, date of raft, and state registration number and owner/operator of every boat. The Lake Shelbyville Project Office is open from 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday through Friday.
For additional information, contact Park Ranger Dustin Wolf at 217-774-3951 ext. 7004.