Today is National Pi (3.14) Day.
Pi Day is celebrated in the United States on March 14th every year. Pi (π) is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. While most Americans learned about Pi in Junior High math class, 1 in 5 have no idea what Pi is according to a survey by NationalToday.com.
NationalToday.com conducted the survey about Pi and National Pi Day with 1,000 Americans. According to their results, 66% guessed what Pi is the measure of correctly, while 16% guessed incorrectly and 19% admitted to having no idea. However, more than half of those surveyed plan to celebrate Pi Day. In fact, 55% will celebrate, while 45% will not.
So, how does one celebrate Pi Day? Below are the top 3 ways that Americans will celebrate Pi Day, as well as the top 5 insights provided to surveyors about Pi.
Top Three Ways to Celebrate Pi Day
- Eat pie/pi-themed food- 43%
- Post about Pi on social media – 16%
- Jog or walk 3.14 miles – 15%
Top 5 Insights About Pi
- “I wish there was a Pi emoji” 15%
- “Albert Einstein (who shares a birthday with Pi Day) is my hero” 12%
- “I’m a huge math nerd” 11%
- “I’ve memorized more than 10 digits in Pi” 6%
- “I have a Pi tattoo” 2%
Happy National Pi Day!