The Effingham City Council recognized Police Department Telecommunicator Cindy Thies as the Employee of the Quarter for the second quarter of FY17. Thies was nominated by Jodi Moomaw for performing tasks and duties above her rank during Moomaw’s absence. Moomaw said that Thies “is a great asset to have in the PASP.” Other nominees for the quarter included Aaron Lange and Laura Kinkelaar, both from the Police Department, and Dennis “Buck” Niebrugge from the Public Works Department.
More discussion was had on whether to implement the PUSH for Wellness Plan for city employees. Under the program, employees can earn cash incentives for participating in wellness goals. There would be an upfront cost of $2,500 from the city, in addition to the cash incentives. However, the program will pay back the city with a $10,000 grant if the city can secure 50 percent participation in the program. In a survey of city employees and spouses, 70 said that they’d be interested in the program.
An update on a project to improve access to the TREC Trail was also discussed at Tuesday’s meeting. An Illinois Transportation Enhancment Program (ITEP) Grant is being used to add a new parking lot to the TREC Trail entrance on Outer Belt West. Milano & Grunloh Engineers, LLC will provide the preliminary engineering for the project not to exceed $117,600. The ITEP Grant will cover 80 percent of that with the city and TREC picking up the remaining 20 percent.
The city council also approved the renewal of a Delta Voluntary Employee Paid Dental and Vision Plan.