Wednesday is Illinois Speed Awareness day. According to Illinois State Trooper Tammy Welborn, the it’s a chance to help people understand the dangerous impact that speeding can have on Illinois residents. Right here in District 12 accidents, many related to speeding, are up a significantly.
“In fact, speeding is one of the top four traffic violations that are causing fatalities on Illinois roadways and an alarming fact is, this year’s compared to last year, and at this district, we are at a 127 percent increase on traffic fatalities. Speeding being attributed to several of those” Welborn said.
Welborn hopes that drivers can begin to build a pattern of minding their speeds on Speed Awareness day that will hold throughout the rest of the year. According to her, one of problems associated with speeding, is not being able to spot fast enough in an emergency.
Minding the speed limit is especially important in rural areas. According to Welborn, 45% of roadway fatalities happen on rural roadways.
Here are some additional fun fact about the dangers of speeding:
- The probability of death, disfigurement, or debilitating injury grows with higher speed at impact. Such consequences double for every 10 MPH over 50 MPH.
- When a vehicle crashes it undergoes a rapid change in speed. However the occupants keep moving at the vehicle’s previous speed until they are stopped, either by hitting an object or by being restrained by a safety belt or airbag.
- The effectiveness of restraint devices like airbags, safety belts, crumple zones, and side beams decline as impact speed increases.
- 4% of the speed-related crashes result in injuries.
- Speeding extends the distance required to stop a vehicle in emergency situations.
- Crash severity increases with the speed of the vehicle at impact.
- Speeding reduces a driver’s ability to navigate safely around curves or objects in the roadway.
- Speeding can lower gas mileage by 33% at highway speeds.
You can hear the full interview with ISP District 12 Trooper Tammy Welborn on Illinois Speed Awareness Day here!