The EffingHAM-JAM was held downtown last weekend with teams from several states participating to see who could make the most-mouthwatering BBQ. The contest was sanctioned with the Kansas City Barbecue Society.
The event kicked off on Friday with area teams competing in the Hometown Throw Down. Nine local teams participated in all. Categories to win were Best Wings, Best Pork Steaks, Best Sauce, Best Presentation, Best theme, and Grand Champion. The winning teams are listed here:
- Best Wings: 1st Place – 2 Drunk Guys (Effingham, IL), 2nd Place – Bonehead BBQ (Peotone, IL).
- Best Pork Steak: 1st Place – Bonehead BBQ, 2nd Place – 2 Drunk Guys.
- Best Sauce: 1st Place – Bonehead BBQ, 2nd Place – 2 Drunk Guys.
- Best Presentation: 1st Place – Moore Smoke BBQ (Newton, IL), 2nd Place – Lickin My Chicken and Pullin My Pork (Effingham, IL).
- Best Theme: 1st Place 2 Drunk Guys, 2nd Place – Lickin My Chicken and Pullin My Pork.
- People’s Choice: Lickin My Chicken & Pullin My Pork.
- Grand Champion: Lickin My Chicken & Pullin My Pork.
Other teams participating were Mean Green Grillin’ Machine (Effingham, IL), Veteran’s Smokin’ Hot BBQ (Effingham, IL), Blowin’ Smoke & Kickin’ Addis BBQ (Teutopolis, IL), Roosters & Rumps BBQ (Paris, IL) and Sissy Lou’s BBQ (Casey, IL).
The 1st Annual Kids Q was held on Saturday for ages 13-18. 1st Place went to team Double A BBQ consisting of children Alex Ramert and Adam Fearday. 2nd Place was awarded to Gavin Ochs with Moore Smoke BBQ. 3rd Place went to team KAAV with members Kaitlyn Schumacher and Avery. 4th Place was awarded to the Olivia and Camden Raddatz of the Raddatz Kids.
The main KCBS Championship Competition event was held Saturday with 29 teams competing in chicken, ribs, pork, and brisket.
- Chicken: 1st Place – Dad’s Smokin Butts BBQ (Effingham, IL), 2nd Place – one2bbq (New Berlin, IL).
- Ribs: 1st Place – Awesome Racks Cookin Crew (Quincy, IL), 2nd Place – one2bbq.
- Pork: 1st Place – Eat Mor Butt BBQ (Ferdinand, IN), 2nd Place – Smokin’ Aces & The BBQ Superstore.com (Spring Lake, MI).
- Brisket: 1st Place – Thunder Hog BBQ (Ellettsville, IN), 2nd Place – High on the Hawg (Fayetteville, TN).
- Reserve Champion – Eat Mor Butt BBQ.
- Grand Champion – one2bbq.