Illinois State Police (ISP) District 12 Interim Commander, Lieutenant Cory Ristvedt is urging motorists to drive safe and sober during the holiday weekend. DUI is the number one cause of fatal crashes during the 4th of July holiday. ISP Troopers will be on the lookout for impaired drivers.
“Traffic crash fatalities in District 12 are substantially higher than this same time last year”, said Lieutenant Ristvedt.
The ISP has some tips to help residents avoid dangerous situations:
- Plan a safe way home prior to going out.
- Designate a sober driver before drinking.
- If you are impaired, call a taxi or have a sober friend, or family member, drive you home.
- If you see a drunk driver on the road, call 911.
- If you know someone has been drinking, help them make safe arrangements to get home.
Compared to last year, District 12 has seen a 127% increase in traffic crash fatalities. Most crashes are a result of the big four violations: Failure to Wear a Seatbelt, Speeding, DUI, and Distracted Driving.