A house in the K&N Subdivision in Teutopolis was damaged by a fire Wednesday afternoon. The Teutopolis Fire Department was dispatched to 15418 North 1815th Street at 4:16pm for the house fire.
The fire began in the kitchen, and was too large for the homeowner to effectively use a fire extinguisher. Fire personnel arrived on the scene at 4:21pm and found the house full of smoke. Smoke was also coming from the backside of the house. Firefighters acted quickly, making an initial attack and were able to knock out the fire within minutes.
After speaking to the occupants, firefighters determined that the fire originated near the stove when the oven wasn’t turned off after being used for cooking.
Fire damage was contained to the kitchen; however there was smoke damage throughout the house. Damage is estimated at approximately $15,000-$20,000. There were no injuries.
Crews were on scene for about an hour.