The investigation into the warehouse fire at 1901 Wabash in Mattoon has been completed. The official cause of the fire has been determined as Electrical. The Mattoon Fire Department says a short in an electrical junction box mounted on plywood walls started the fire which at some point ruptured a gas line, causing a gas fed fire.
The investigation was briefly delayed as investigators had to wait for the building to cool to enough for the building to be safe to enter.
Arson was never suspected as the cause.