An Effingham home was damaged in a fire during the early morning hours Wednesday. The fire occurred at 3:08am at 1023 North Main Street, the home of Joe and Cathy Freimuth. Joe was brought to St. Anthony’s Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation
When firefighters arrived they reported seeing heavy smoke, with the occupants outside in the drive way. Fire crews then entered the house, making their way to the basement where they said there was zero visibility with little heat. It was discovered that a dehumidifier at the base of the stairs in the basement had caught fire, with evidence showing that the fire had began going up the wall to the ceiling. Thermal imaging cameras were then used to check for any sign that the fire had extended. Firefighters then removed the remains of the dehumidifier and utilized multiple exhaust fans to remove smoke that had gone throughout the home.
The Effingham Fire Department notes that a working smoke detector alerted the residents of the fire.
The damage caused be by the fire is estimated at $5,000 to the structure and an additional $10,000 to the contents.