I donated blood for the “Battle Of The Badges” event that was held by our sister station in Mattoon and the American Red Cross yesterday. It was a learning experience as it was my first time donating blood. (As you can see with the goofy enclosed picture of me with the green sticker…sorry) I believe the staff at the event thought I didn’t have enough fluids before the event (soda/carbonated beverages don’t count) which I didn’t. After the fact I went snooping around the American Red Cross Blood Donation site to see what I SHOULD have done.
– Maintain a healthy iron level in your diet by eating iron rich foods like red meat, fish, poultry, beans (not for me but if it is in Wendy’s chili i’ll eat it), spinach, iron-fortified cereals and raisins.
– Get a good night’s sleep (yeah…did not do that)
– Drink an extra 16 oz of water or nonalcoholic fluids before the donation (NO soda/carbonated beverages!!!)
– Eat a healthy meal before your donation, avoid fatty foods such as hamburgers, fries or ice cream before donating. (Does Culver’s cheese curds count?)
– Also…if you have a donor card bring that, driver’s licence or two other forms of ID.
If you do not follow these tips your donation time can take longer and you may have some after effects that you don’t want. For more tips on donation before, during and after, head on over to